Re: Need to install GUI for Etch Linux

extremeskateboarding@juno.com wrote:

I have been having trouble with the install of Etch Linux. During the install, the GUI Desktop Environment was not installed (install failed). I am wondering if I can possibly download and install the desktop environment manually onto the debian machine. I am not able to use the normal install, but must just download and install the GUI separately. Is there any way that I can do this? Thanks for your help.

Try "sudo aptitude install x-window-system".

You'll also want a desktop/window manager, so you may also want to "sudo aptitude install kde gnome icewm" or something similar.

Then if you get any errors, let us know the exact errors.

Also, are you installing from CD/DVD or from the 'net?

--
Kent