Re: ID tied to hardware? (was Re: Getting a unique ID for a system?)

On 11/19/08 20:50, Celejar wrote:
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 20:45:40 -0600

On 11/18/08 11:13, Richard Hartmann wrote:
[snip]
Actually, I do want an ID that is unique and tied to the hardware.
Which part of the hardware? And what if you upgrade/replace the bit of hardware upon which your "host id" is based?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

It's Plutarch's Ship only if you replace the computer components with exact replicas, right down to the serial numbers on the mobo, hard drives, etc.

But that can't happen.

It's "Wall-E" any time you restore disk backups to newer, but compatible hardware.

Happens all the time.

But that's not what Richard Hartmann wants.  Wwhich he can't get...

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

If you don't agree with me, you are worse than Hitler!!!