Getting a unique ID for a system?

Hi all,

I am wondering if there is any sane way to get a unique ID for a system.
That means both hardware- and Xen-based.

Things I tried include, but are not limited to:

dmidecode | grep ID # fails as some PCs have the same UUID & ID

hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep Serial # fails on Xen boxen

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/ # fails as you can copy whole Xen domUs which
# will then share a uuid for their partitions

Of course, I could try to mangle all this into an ID, but that process
is error-prone. Maybe there is any tool which can achieve this?

All help appreciated :)

Richard