Re: Getting a unique ID for a system?

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 12:20, Tom Allison <tom@tacocat.net> wrote:

> I've absolutely no idea what you are trying to do here or why.  I'm a little
> curious about that.

I want to assign all hosts a unique id that is consistent across all
monitoring and accounting solutions.
The existance of VMs makes a simply solution like /etc/hostid
imossible to use.

> But if you are trying to find a unique id that isn't tied to hardware or
> pretty much anything else then why not just make one up.

Actually, I do want an ID that is unique and tied to the hardware.

> Here:  I wrote this in the middle of this email:

I would simply do

  uuidgen > /etc/hosts

if I could rely on IDs of that kind. Unfortunately, I can't :(

Richard