Re: using dselect (was: Re: debian installation help)

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 06:33:39AM -0600, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> was heard to say:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 07:51:30PM -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>
> >   The "expected" workflow in aptitude is that you pick all the changes
> > you want to make, then ask aptitude to show you all the changes that
> > will be made (including ones that were required by your past changes).
> > If you like it, you confirm that it's OK and aptitude applies the
> > changes.
>
> Then how do you know what changes cause what? Are you going through
> the list and somehow trace back all the dependencies to figure that
> out? And when you make another change, you have to start all over
> again?

  If you select a package in the preview screen, aptitude will show you
packages that are related by dependencies.  You can also type "i" a few
times to see a package that you selected manually which requires each
newly installed package (but this isn't perfect in some corner cases).

> BTW, how do you tell aptitude to tell you what it would do? I just
> started it and couldn't figure that out. I would like to see what it
> would do without me making any changes.

  Press "g" and you get a summary of all the changes you've made.

  Daniel