Re: debian installation help

On 2008-11-16 23:20 +0100, lee wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 10:25:09PM +0530, Srinivasa Ramanujam wrote:
>
>>    i downloaded all four of them and wrote in four different dvd's using
>>    nero burner. i installed debian using first dvd
>>    (debian-update-4.0r5-amd64-DVD-1.iso). after installation, i tried to
>>    install packages from debian-update-4.0r5-amd64-DVD-2.iso dvd, however
>>    the system couldn't recognize the media while booting.
>
> You should have only one disk to boot from, which is the one with
> which you install the system on your computer. The other DVDs are
> probably not bootable.
>
> What happens when you mount these DVDs? Are there files on them?
>
>> but how can i make my debian machine to
>>    understand the remaining media?
>
> Run dselect and select "Access", then "cdrom" from the list:

Please, PLEASE don't suggest dselect to new users of Debian.  They will
run away in horror and tell everyone how terrible system Debian is.
Besides, the only access method in dselect that is known to be
non-broken is the apt access method.

Sven

--
I was attacked by dselect as a small child and have since avoided
debian.