Re: [Solved] OT: HP NetServer LPr dual P-II-450MHz, 250MB 2x9GB 2U server

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:46:43PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> Its an HP NetServer LPr, Dual P-II 450 MHz, 256 MB ram, 2x9GB SCSI drive
> 2U server.  Its basically $60 CDN (plus tax) and I can drive to pick it
> up (no shipping cost).  They have 4 available.  If there's a chance it
> would work for my wife, it would be inexpensive enough.

Just to followup:

Thanks for the input.  I am now the proud owner of four of them (plus a
free spare minus CPU/RAM/Drives, for parts).

Three have two 9 GB ultra2 drives, one has two 36 GB Ultra2 drives.

Two have NetRaid-1 hardware raid cards (in addition to the integrated
SCSI HBA), two have NetRaid 1Si cards.

Ram on all of them is upgraded to 1 GB ECC ($15 extra).

Noise isn't too bad; in many ways quieter than my P-II-233 (with its
wonky CPU fan).  The noise is high-enough pitch to be directional and
absorbable (as opposed to a pervasive loud hum).

I think of them as desktop PCs: big enough to _be_ a desktop.  I could
probably cobble up some legs and make tables out of them. :)

Best of all, other than the noise, my wife doesn't notice that its on.
The sheilding is supurb.

Thanks again for the comments.  If you have more
comments/suggestions/wisdom, and you don't want it on the list, feel
free to email off-list.

Doug.