Re: Q: List Policy

Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@gmail.com>:
>  ------=_Part_24413_25996402.1226805705201
>
>  On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > On 11/15/08 13:43, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> >
> >> I was fairly sure that the policy for this list, and most of the Debian
> >> mailing lists was to NOT CC the poster in replies unless they requested it.
> >>  Is that correct?
> >
> > Yup.
> >
> >  I only ask because I've been getting a lot of CCs recently and I really,
> >
> > Gmail.  It's Evil.
>
>  How so?

Well for one thing, I see:

>  ------=_Part_24413_25996402.1226805705201

at the top of every/most gmail based posts, then another like that
followed by an html version of the text reply.  Thank you very much!
Turn off HTML on replies.  Please.

>  When I reply to an email to this list, gmail presumes I want to
>  reply to the sender.  I simply change the return address to the list.  I
>  manage several forums on which I set Reply-To to the forum address; gmail
>  respects that.  If there's a problem here, it's not gmail.

It's gmail's default behaviour that's infuriating.  You may have
learned your way around some of its ickyness, but not all.  Gmail
shouldn't have that stuff turned on by default.  Email clients ought
to have a Reply To List feature that works.