Re: Firewall Utilities

Hello List,

FireHOL is well documented, it is written in bash,
it is intuitive to configure and to maintain,
and it comes with options that produce a template
for your current box, that allow to check your
configuration, and to read the effective iptable.
Furthermore, it is maintained,

The cons: it is written in bash: no GUI (I do not care because
I prefer scripts), and obviously bash must be installed (what
is easy to get on a regular box, but not on an embedded box as a router).

For further details:

firehol.sourceforge.net

I use it on my (Debian Lenny) laptop and
for a (Debian Etch) cluster (number cruncher).

hth,
Jerome

Tom Allison wrote:
Jerome BENOIT wrote:
firehole is great too !

Can you elaborate a little bit on pro/cons?
Right now I'm trying to get through shorewall docs and it's "OK" but they could use a better initiation/orientation starting point. I'm only now grasping the different roles that zone/policy/rule play.

--
Jerome BENOIT
jgmbenoit_at_mailsnare_dot_net