Re: Q: List Policy

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 11:26 PM, Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03@volumehost.net> wrote:
On Saturday 15 November 2008, "Patrick Wiseman" <pwiseman@gmail.com> wrote
about 'Re: Q: List Policy':
>On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
wrote:
>> On 11/15/08 13:43, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>>> I was fairly sure that the policy for this list, and most of the
>>> Debian mailing lists was to NOT CC the poster in replies unless they
>>> requested it. Is that correct?
>>
>> Yup.
>>
>>  I only ask because I've been getting a lot of CCs recently and I
>> really,
>>

>> Gmail.  It's Evil.
>
>How so?  When I reply to an email to this list, gmail presumes I want to
>reply to the sender.  I simply change the return address to the list.  I
>manage several forums on which I set Reply-To to the forum address; gmail
>respects that.  If there's a problem here, it's not gmail.

http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html -- the body of
which should actually be read after reading the first two references.

Oh, please.  What the heck do you know about the forums I manage?  I wasn't suggesting that Debian forums should set reply-to that way.  I was merely pointing out that misdirected replies are not gmail's fault, but the user's.

Oh, and you might want to check out http://www.mindspring.com/~pwiseman/reply-to.html - there's more than one viewpoint.

Apologies - I'm out of date there - but I stand by my position that it's users at fault, not gmail or list defaults.

Patrick