Re: Lenny, apt(titude), dependency issues, seg faults and corrupted .DEB packages

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008, Mark Allums wrote:
MS's memory tester is pretty terrible IMO, but the memtests are a little

It flags errors faster than memtest in the opinion of some of our lab techs.
Probably memtest is too conservative in what it does to the platform.

better. At least, I was able to find errors with memtest86+ that MS didn't find. (Could have been false positives of some kind, I suppose.)

Interesting.  I will relay that to our lab people.  Probably means they need
to do both: 12H under MS, 24H or more under memtest.  Ugh.

The ususal disclaimer applies:  YMMV, your milage may vary.

There seem to be very few memory testers to choose from, and memtest has the right price tag.

One must always remember to use the latest version, sometimes the newer CPUs and chipsets aren't supported properly and there can be very subtle bugs.

Yes, and to always use a verified-good gcc.  A miscompiled memtest due to
buggy gcc in Gentoo caused a *LOT* of problems sometime ago...

I'm sure no one needs to be told that, but sometimes we all need reminding.

Cheers,

Mark Allums