Re: Lenny, apt(titude), dependency issues, seg faults and corrupted .DEB packages

On Friday 14 November 2008, Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote
about 'Re: Lenny, apt(titude), dependency issues, seg faults and
corrupted .DEB packages':
<bss03@volumehost.net> was heard to say:
>> On Friday 14 November 2008, "Jeff Soules" <soules@gmail.com> wrote
>> about 'Re: Lenny, apt(titude), dependency issues, seg faults and
>> corrupted .DEB packages':
>> >Memtest86+ is a GPL'd memory testing suite that should work with
>> >anything in the i386-amd64 family.
>>
>> Yeah, but it's not actually that good at testing memory.
>
>  Do you have a reference for that?

Nope.  I also can't find one after a bit of googling.  I seem to remember
that there were two or 3 people on gentoo-user that were able to find
memory errors with a perl script that memtest86 couldn't find.  Perhaps
those were actually CPU errors with similar symptoms.

I could be remembering it wrong.  I'll cease deriding memtest86 until I see
problems again and document them properly.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))