Re: udev causing data loss?

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 18:42:54 -0700, ghe wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 05:01:26 -0700, ghe wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> particularly hated; massive nuisance causing data loss and grief:
> >>
> >> 	UDEV!!! (not the idea; the implementation)
> >
> > How does udev cause data loss?
> >

> I was working on a system where sda is the system disk, and sdb was to
> get a new partition map; powered down for something; connected an
> external USB disk; rebooted; partitioned sdb...
>
> The names of internal disks change without notice. This, IMHO, is an
> extremely lame idea. I know better now, but it was an expensive lesson.

If that is your only example, then you should change your vote to:

| particularly hated; massive nuisance causing data loss and grief:
|       the modern Linux kernel!!! (asynchronous device discovery)

Here is a simple test to demonstrate that udev takes over the name that
the kernel chooses:

$ udevadm test $(udevadm info --query=path --name /dev/sda) | grep get_name
udev_rules_get_name: add symlink 'disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:1f.2-scsi-0:0:0:0'
udev_rules_get_name: no node name set, will use kernel name 'sda'

(This example is for Lenny and Sid, on Etch you have to replace "udevadm
 test" with "udevtest" and "udevadm info" with "udevinfo".)

          Florian   |