Re: How to uninstall a tar.gz package?

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I have auctex 11.84 installed via tar.gz package, and want now to have the
>>> cvs version.
>>>
>>> Can anybody please suggest all the steps so to completely remove the old
>>> one?  Or maybe simply installing the cvs version will override the old
>>> installation?
>

> tyler <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> writes:
>
>> If you build from source, I'm pretty sure both 11.84 and the cvs version
>> will install themselves to the same place under /usr/local/share, with
>> most of the key files ending up in:
>>
>>   /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/
>>
>> That being the case, if you just go ahead and install the cvs version it
>> will overwrite all the old files with the new versions. At least, that's
>> what I did, and everything seems to be working fine.
>

> Do you mean that you did what I want to do, i.e. installed the cvs version
> *after* the source package, and in your experience all went well?  If you
> experienced that directly, I can be quite confident and try it myself.  Please
> let me know.

It's been a while since I changed anything. I seem to recall I had 11.84
installed from source, which I then replaced with 11.85, installed from
source. I couldn't find any uninstall info, so I just installed right
over top. No problems.

To answer Tzafrir's question, I needed a version of Auctex that wasn't
yet in the repositories, as it had a few bug fixes. I've since switched
to using Emacs compiled from source as well. I'm fussy when it comes to
my emacs, so I prefer to work with the latest release and control all
the bits and pieces myself.

Cheers,

Tyler

                                       --Mark Twain