Re: [OT] Burning usb keys (was: Re: Unappending boot options in Lilo?)

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 02:46:43AM +0100, s. keeling wrote:

> I can recommend unetbootin (google).  I needed to get a few things
> (all available in etch) for it to install correctly, but I've since
> burned Zenwalk to a usb key and it boots into the installer.  I'm
> getting ZW live iso now to see if it goes further (a running desktop).
>
> unetbootin supplies a .deb, which once installed burns a url or an
> on-disk iso to the key then makes it bootable.  Pretty slick, and real
> simple to use.

I suppose that there's also just the installer hd-media USB stick method
with the netinst.iso (or cd1.iso) on it as well.

Actually, as the ultimate take-it-with-you backup, I keep with me a USB
stick setup for installing Etch, with the netinst.iso, and the most
important of our data (encrypted).  Lets me do a bare-metal recovery to
most i386 boxes with internet availability.

Doug.