Re: Unappending boot options in Lilo?

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 10:12:50AM -0500, ron.l.johnson@cox.net wrote:
> ---- Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 08:40:51AM -0500, ron.l.johnson@cox.net wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Last night, I (foolishly) added a couple of items (hda=noprobe hdb=noprobe) to the "append" line of lilo.conf without testing them first, and now the boot process panics with:
> > >
> > > Cannot open root device "hda2" or unknown-block(0,0)
> > > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
> > >
> > > So, is there any way, at the boot prompt, to tell Lilo not to append any options? (No help from Google; my Google Fu must be weak this morning.)
> >
> > Run lilo again after rebooting :)
>
> Grrrr.
>
> > You can boot your system by rescue CDs. Grub CD is one good one.

If you have a floppy and a floppy-drive, there's the grub-disk package.
I know, you can't boot your debian system to install the package.  I
don't know if you can unpack the .deb and use rawwrite on win to make
the floppy.

There's also the Debian install CD in rescue mode.  Boot it up, run a
shell in your root partition, edit the lilo.conf and re-run lilo.

Doug.