kdm will not accept my password

I just finished installing Etch in a new box.  KDM appears on the
monitor with my user name and place to enter my password, but KDM will
not accept it.

In a virtual box I am able to log in to my user with the same
password; so the user name and password are correct.  Keyboard is US,
which I used all through the installation; so the problem is not
related to using a non US keyboard.

I have installed Sarge and Etch many times but have never run into
this problem before.  What should I do to fix it?

Ken Heard