failed to install msttcorefonts

Hi to Everyone,

On my desktop running under Debian Sarge, I had no problem installing 'msttecorefonts', which was done about 18 months ago. However, now, on my laptop under Etch, I can't get those fonts installed. Upon launching:

#apt-get install msttcorefonts

the install process started allright, it even seemed to end OK.. except for one thing :

'warning: /usr/share/fonts/X11/truetype does not exist or is not a directory'
'warning: /usr/lib/X11/fonts/truetype does not exist or is not a directory'

These directories don't exist indeed... but they don't exist either on my desktop, where the install was no problem.

Anyway, these were just warnings. After these two lines of warning, here is what came next :

'These fonts were provided by Microsoft "in the interest of cross-platform compatibility". This is no longer the case, but they are still available from third parties. You are free to download these fonts and use them for your own use, but you may not redistribute them in modified form, including changes to the file name or packaging format.'

Once this had been displayed, a download process automatically started, and it went like this :

--21:12:19-- http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
      => './andale32.exe'
Resolving surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net... failed: Connexion terminated because of waiting time delay expired

and then the process restarted at another address, then a third and a forth one etc... with always the same failure about expiring waiting time for resolving. here are the various addresses that have been attempted by the system :

http://optusnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
http://puzzle.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
http://superb-west.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
http://superb-east.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
http://jaist.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
http://mesh.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
http://belnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
http://nchc.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe

After all these failed trials, it said :

andale32.exe: No such file or directory

All done, errors in processing 1 file
dpkg : error in treating msttcorefonts (--configure) : post install sub-process script has returned an error code (1)
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1).

True type fonts are not available. If there is an error in a config file, I don't know where to find it, and, in any case, I wouldn't know what http addresses to write instead of those that failed...

Ever since then, I have tried a few more things. The addresses up there are good, since I can connect and download each font using my web browser or wget, but it does not work through the debian package font downloading program, even though the package itself does dowload allright from the debian site. I have tried this several times, alterning apt-get install and apt-get remove. Later on, I decided to test what would happen if I dowloaded the 'Lenny' version of msttcorefonts, thus I temporarily changed a few lines in my /etc/apt/sources.list, and tried a new install. This did not work any better, and the problem was the same, even though the error messages were slightly different. My new problem is that, once back to my former /etc/apt/sources.list file mentioning Debian Etch instead of Lenny, not only can't I install msttcorefonts, yet I can no longer remove either, both processes return errors.

Thanks in advance for your help