Re: usb discovery fails on initial boot

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 10:28:37 +0000, Russell Gadd wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> The first thing we need to know is if the device node(s) for the USB
>> stick are created reliably. When you have a "first boot" and the icon
>> does not show up, please run
>>
>> ls -l /dev/disk/by-path/ | grep usb
>>
>> and post the output here (or let us know if there is no output).
>>

> Thanks Florian. This command produced no output

This probably means that udev did not create a device node for the USB
stick, which could be due to a bug in udev or due to the kernel not
creating the appropriate hot/coldplug event. The next thing I would try
is to tell udev to trigger uevents for all removable block devices that
are known to the system. To do this, you have to run this command as
root:

udevtrigger --verbose --subsystem-match=block --attr-match=removable=1

The above command should work on Etch, for Lenny/Sid it should be this
one instead:

udevadm trigger --verbose --subsystem-match=block --attr-match=removable=1

Post the output that you get and check if this command leads to the
creation of a /dev/sd* device node for the USB stick. (The "--verbose"
option should make it list all known removable block devices, such as
USB sticks, CD drives, etc.)

          Florian   |