Re: Talking with Yahoo Messenger

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 11:16:49PM -0500, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> Martin wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I find out that gaim is able to use text messaging with many
> > programs. I want to use voice messaging (use it as phone)
> > when other person is using Yahoo Messenger on MS Windows.
> > Is there some program for debian that can do this?
> >
> > Friend told me that he is using Yahoo Messenger on
> > dial-up connection. I only have 33k dial-up too and am
> > hoping to be able to use it. How much bandwith does
> > protocol for transferring voice need?
> >
> > Martin
>
> AFAIK, gaim can't do voice chat. Use Skype for voice chat. Skype works both
> in Linux, Windows.
>
> raju

I would *not* use Skype. The last time I had Skype installed it opened a
ton of ports on my router (I have no clue how it got into my router
configuration without the password), and since then I've switched to
using Ekiga for my everything SIP calls. And it's also free (as in
freedom) software, unlike Skype which is proprietary as well as a
security hazard in my personal opinion.

--
AIM: BlockMeHarder   MSN: pobega@gmail.com JIM: pobega@jaim.at
Follow my Tweets;  http://twitter.com/pobega