Re: Talking with Yahoo Messenger

Michael Pobega wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 11:16:49PM -0500, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
>> Martin wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I find out that gaim is able to use text messaging with many
>>> programs. I want to use voice messaging (use it as phone)
>>> when other person is using Yahoo Messenger on MS Windows.
>>> Is there some program for debian that can do this?
>>>
>>> Friend told me that he is using Yahoo Messenger on
>>> dial-up connection. I only have 33k dial-up too and am
>>> hoping to be able to use it. How much bandwith does
>>> protocol for transferring voice need?
>>>
>>> Martin
>> AFAIK, gaim can't do voice chat. Use Skype for voice chat. Skype works both
>> in Linux, Windows.
>>
>> raju
>
> I would *not* use Skype. The last time I had Skype installed it opened a
> ton of ports on my router (I have no clue how it got into my router
> configuration without the password), and since then I've switched to
> using Ekiga for my everything SIP calls. And it's also free (as in
> freedom) software, unlike Skype which is proprietary as well as a
> security hazard in my personal opinion.

well, thanks for the heads up on that.  I had no idea skype used those
ports....  been using it with a dlink router piped through my wired home
phones, and cordless phones for nearly 2 years as our "landline".  beats
telco by $$$..... relatives call hungary nearly every day, telco charges
$1 something a minute, skype is 2 cents minute lol.... found this
article for anyone whos interested...

http://techreflect.blogspot.com/2006/09/does-skype-make-small-businesses.html

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

"Any people anywhere, being inclined, and having the power, have the
right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new
one that suits them better."   Abraham Lincoln 1848