Re: Switching from Etch to Lenny - help me assess the risk.

On Fri,  7 Nov 2008 17:02:58 +0000 (UTC)

> All,
>
>   I run Etch+backports at my home gateway/file server. Lately, I find
> that many packages are too old in Etch for my needs. I am thinking of
> switching to Lenny.

Don't do it!  Resist the temptation.  Stay with good ol' reliable Etch
(at least until Lenny is declared as "good ol' reliable, and stable,
Lenny").

I don't think anyone can reliably answer your questions about the
switch.  Maybe things will go wrong, and maybe not.  But, if you're
current set up is working for you, and you're simply curious to see if
newer will be better, then I say don't do it.  Why fix what isn't
broken?  If the older software truly is "too old" for your needs,
meaning that it truly is not meeting your needs, then go for it, and
see. Do a backup first, though. In doing an upgrade of your system, I
would recommend "dist-upgrade" over "upgrade". It supposedly takes more
issues into consideration in doing the upgrade.

Mark