Re: Switching from Etch to Lenny - help me assess the risk.

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 15:05:21 -0500
Mark Grieveson <dg135@torfree.net> wrote:

> But, if you're
> current set up is working for you, and you're simply curious to see if
> newer will be better, then I say don't do it.  Why fix what isn't
> broken?

Because it will become broken over time: "Broken" in the sense that it
becomes very difficult or even impossible to upgrade it, some time
after there are no more security updates for that release. If that
works fine for you, don't touch it.

For a firewall/router and fileserver, not touching it is not an option.
Letting aside that a firewall/router should not be used as a
fileserver, it's a good idea to keep it up to date for security.

But why run a second computer at all? It takes time to maintain it
(like software updates and doing backups), it wastes a lot of
electricity, nowadays computers have become fast enough to do what you
want them to do, the hardware routers do a good job (you shouldn't use
a router/firewall as a file server anyway), and you can get huge hard
disks relatively cheap.

GH