sound app issues

Hello.  Recently some of my sound applications have stopped working
properly.  I use Etch.  This occurred after a recent upgrade.  The two
apps that no longer work properly are volume.app, and xmms.  vlc does
still give sound when I play either music or video files, as does the
Internet (using iceweasel).  xmms states that it can't find the audio
device, and so does volume.app.  I do have Openoffice.org installed
from debian-backports as well, though I'm assuming this wouldn't be the
cause.  Any suggestions for fixing this are appreciated.

Mark