Re: OT: wireless router suggestions

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 15:06:21 +0200
"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> The time has come to replace my garbage router. I am looking at the
> WRT54GL because of the available firmware, however, I need a USB print
> server as I do not want to replace my wonderful USB all-in-one HP
> printer. Which quality wireless routers can run Tomato and have USB
> print servers? Thanks!

I recently purchased an Asus 520gu.  It runs OpenWrt and has a USB
port, but USB 2.0 support is apparently still pretty flaky (I haven't
tried the USB functionality yet).  They were recently available for
less than $30 USD shipped (to the US, I don't know about Israel) after
rebate, and can still be had for under $50.  I haven't tried Tomato,
but it apparently does run dd-wrt, although I haven't tried it.  Note
that I have so far only been able to boot the device with a 2.4 OpenWrt
firmware, not 2.4, although there are some reports of success with
2.6.  [2.4 requires use of a proprietary Broadcom driver for the
wireless chip, while 2.6 has the open source b43, although I'm not sure
if its AP functionality is ready for production yet.]

OpenWrt on the 520gu:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/Asus/WL520GU

dd-wrt on the 520gu:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_WL-520GU

At Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320023

Some OpenWrt forum posts:
http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=17117
http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=15106
http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=75486

I believe that the most commonly discussed custom-firmware-capable
device with a USB port is certain versions of the Asus WL-500g.  See
this page for a list of devices that have USBv2 functionality:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/WithUSBv2

> Dotan Cohen

HTH,
Celejar