Re: sound app issues

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 14:17:17 -0500, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> Hello.  Recently some of my sound applications have stopped working
> properly.  I use Etch.  This occurred after a recent upgrade.  The two
> apps that no longer work properly are volume.app, and xmms.  vlc does
> still give sound when I play either music or video files, as does the
> Internet (using iceweasel).  xmms states that it can't find the audio
> device, and so does volume.app.  I do have Openoffice.org installed
> from debian-backports as well, though I'm assuming this wouldn't be the
> cause.  Any suggestions for fixing this are appreciated.

Check if you have /dev/dsp with the proper permissions:

$ ls -l /dev/dsp
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 3 2008-11-06 19:41 /dev/dsp

If /dev/dsp is missing, try "modprobe snd_pcm_oss" as root. If that
improves the situation, add snd_pcm_oss to /etc/modules to have it
loaded automatically at boot time.

          Florian   |