Re: Recording from XM radio

On 11/05/08 12:30, Rob McBroom wrote:
On 2008-Oct-26, at 2:52 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

Every ISP offers static IP addresses for an extra fee.

Oh, I wish that were true. There isn't an ISP in the Indianapolis area that offers a static IP (to residential customers).

That's where the "extra fee" comes in. You'll have to get business service.

Although, there are a couple that will claim to offer it because they don't know what it means and you won't find out until the installer is in your house that it wasn't true.

I am also unable to find an ISP that doesn't block this and that port "for my safety".

Small DSL resellers sometimes leave them open on residential accounts. You'll have to find one that's tech savvy. Ask around on your local LUG mailing list.

Also, of course, business-class service leaves all ports open.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"I won't have to worry about putting gas in my car, I won't
have to worry about paying my mortgage."
Peggy Joseph, on why she loves Obama