Re: When stability is pointless

On 11/05/08 07:25, Koh Choon Lin wrote:
[snip]

It seems to me the cleanest form of manual package management is still
the old DOS style. All the files of a single program lies in one
directory and to uninstall the program would just involve a simple
removal of the directory.

That works only in relatively simple systems with no maze of complex shared libraries.

That works well in DOS, and pretty well in Windows, where you rely on the Windows API, or bring your own "shared" DLLs.

It even works to a degree in Linux on systems where packages have extremely low granularity. But Debian purposefully creates highly granular binary packages so that people can decide to install only what they want.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"I won't have to worry about putting gas in my car, I won't
have to worry about paying my mortgage."
Peggy Joseph, on why she loves Obama