Re: When stability is pointless

On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 09:25:24PM +0800, Koh Choon Lin wrote:

> >> What????  We need this to keep consistency, ...

> >> Within stable Debian and security updates and volatile, this is supported.
> >
> > If the OP would like to do things manually, I invite him to try
> > Slackware as there is no default package manager (or a very minimal one
> > that will install and remove packages but not much more).  Packages are
> > little changed from their upstream release and if there are conflicts
> > between packages, well the system administrator gets to figure that
> > out.
> >
> >> I do not know what you mean by "manually", though.
> >
> > See Slackware.  ;-)
> >

> It seems to me the cleanest form of manual package management is still
> the old DOS style. All the files of a single program lies in one
> directory and to uninstall the program would just involve a simple
> removal of the directory.

How do you uninstall gdm? Remove the directory "gdm"? The directory
"gnome-base"? The directory "gnome"? Would you be surprised that your
GNOME setup is suddenly broken?

There is indeed gobolinux that implements this. And as you can see, this
concept is simply not popular even though it has been around for a long
time.