Re: No pata_marvell in debian lenny installer?

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 22:18:28 -0200, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> I'm trying to install Debian on my new system, using an Asus P5K SE/EPU
> motherboard. The SATA hard disk is perfectly recognized by the debian
> lenny installer (business card, daily build), but my CD-ROM, which is
> IDE, simply does not get recognized.
>
> Booting an Ubuntu Live CD, if figured out that I need the pata_marvell
> module for it to work, but it seems the debian lenny installer does not
> come with that module. Curiously, the Ubuntu kernel is older (2.6.24)
> than the one in the installer (2.6.26), and the module seems to be
> included in the linux-image-2.6.26 package in lenny/sid.

IIRC, the installer allows you to switch to a VT and run lsmod. Check
which pata module is used, try to blacklist it if it is the wrong one.
Check "modinfo pata_marvell" to see if that one is available. If I am
not mistaken, running the installer in expert mode lets you select which
modules will and will not get loaded, or you can try the
module_name.blacklist=yes boot parameter to avoid loading problematic
modules.

> The network card also has not been recognized, even though Ubuntu is
> very happy about it. I could not figure out what module is necessary,
> but it is a
> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. L1 Gigabit
> Ethernet Adapter (rev b0)

There are two devices with that name in the pci.ids table, one with the
numerical IDs [1969:1026] and the other with [1969:1048]. Which one do
you have? Check with "lspci -nn", or even better, "lspci -knn" on the
Ubuntu system to see which driver it uses. It should be either atl1e or
atl1. Try to modprobe the correct one with the Debian installer and
check dmesg for errors.

          Florian   |