Re: grub with sata drives? - Progress

Thomas H. George wrote:
On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 03:00:56PM -0600, elijah rutschman wrote:
On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
I have two sata drives, sda and sdb with the root partition on sdb.  I
installed grub on sdb and made the following entries in
As far as I know, grub doesn't use the Linux /dev/ nodes to access
disks.  The syntax for both IDE and SATA drives should be the same for
your menu.lst, so something along the lines of groot=(hd0,0).  Since
you are using the secondary drive (in Linux, /dev/sdb) I guess it
would probably be groot=(hd1,0).  You'd still want kopt=root=/dev/sdb1
as it is though, since that parameter is intended for the kernel and
not the bootloader.

Well groot=(hd2,0) works - that is, when trying to boot I now get a

root  (hd2,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-amd64 root=/dev/sdb1 ro

Error 15: File not found

Is your /boot on a separate partition?

Please post more information on your partition layout. At the very least mention the partition of your /boot and the total number of disks in your system. You mentioned having two SATA drives, but do you also have any IDE drives?

The 'groot=<dev>' line in menu.lst should be commented out with a single '#'. update-grub uses this line to figure out the partition where your /boot is located. If your /boot is on a dedicated partition, then the kernel would be found in the root of that filesystem. So the kernel line should read:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-amd64 root=/dev/sdb1

If you are able to get to a grub prompt while booting, you can manually specify the kernel and vmlinuz and use <tab> for autocomplete.

At the grub prompt, press 'c' to get to the console.

type root (hd<tab>

that should list all the drives. Select the appropriate number, and press <tab> to list the paritions. Select the partition that makes most sense.

type 'kernel /<tab>' and use tabcompletion to point grub to the correct kernel and initrd.

Once you have all the needed info, you can modify menu.lst appropriately.

good luck.

                                       -- Albert Einstein