Etch - Netinst - Asus laptop - Problem

Hi everyone,

Thank you for reading my post.

I have recently purchased a laptop (Asus M51Vseries).

CDROM installation attempt
--------------------------

I have tried to install "Debian Etch" on it, using a cdrom I
burnt from an ISO image fetched on the Debian website.
(It is not the first time I do that an usually it work).
The system booted properly on the CDROM but the
installation process "failed" to "recognize" the CD ROM
drive (CD/DVD:P1-HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50N).

Netinst installation attempt
----------------------------

Consequently, I tried the "netinst" alternative to install
Debian (it is the first time I do it).

I configured another Debian server I have to act as an XPE
server. I did the following steps on it:

 # apt-get install atftpd

 # mkdir /tftpboot

 # chmod 777 /tftpboot -R

 I edited "/etc/default/atftpd".
 -> I replaced "true" with "false" in "USE_INETD=true" in that file.

 I edited "/etc/inetd.conf".
 -> I commented the line concerning tftp.

 # /etc/init.d/atftpd start

 # apt-get install pxe syslinux

 I edited "/etc/xpe.conf".
 -> I set:
    default_address=192.168.0.8
    domain=paris.iode

 # wget
http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/netboot.tar.gz
   -0 /tftpboot/netboot-debian-etch-i386.tar.gz

 # tar xzfv /tftpboot/netboot-debian-etch-i386.tar.gz

Now, the Asus laptop manages to "boot on the remote computer"...
(I don't know if it is the proper way to put it... !)
I run the first steps of the installation process:
  1. Choose language
  2. Choose country
  3. Keymap to use
  4. Configure the network
     Primary network interface:
     I select the entry corresponding to the Ethernet interface
     it in the list and press "Enter".
     eth0: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express G

There it fails with the following message:

 5. Configuring the network with DHCP
    Network autoconfiguration failed
    Your network is probably not using the DHCP protocol.
    Alternatively, the DHCP server may be slow or some network hardware
    is not working properly.

I can see that my DHCP server has offered an IP address to the laptop.
(In "/var/log/messages" I have an IP offer for the MAC address that
corresponds to the laptop).