Re: kde: can't right click and get context sensitive menu, iceweasel drop down menus dont drop

On Thursday 30 October 2008 15:08, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am only having this trouble on only one of my many systems running sid.
> It started a while ago. It only is a problem if I run X directly. If I run
> via vncserve there  is no problem.
>
> I run KDE.
>
> I noticed first that when I clicked on any of the
> _File _Edit _View _History menus on top of Iceweasel window, it did not
> drop down. I had to do alt-F or alt-E or alt_V in order to get the window
> to be activated. At that point I could scroll down with the arrow to my
> selection.
>
> Then I noticed similarly that the right mouse button will not give context
> menu on desktop. Similarly I cannot add icons to the panel at bottom of
> screen.
>
> Then I noticed that I similarly could only select the printer in kprinter
> dialog via the down arrow button - mouse would not work.
>
> All mouse works fine on same machine if I log in via the vncviewer and
> vncserver. All three things- right context button, panel icon setup,
> iceweasel all work fine.
>
> It is not something messed up with the user. If I set up a new user, after
> upgrading to latest sid (this problem persists upon multiple sid
> upgrade cycles), I still have the problem.
>

> If I try Gnome:
>
> If I set up and use Gnome, then there  is no such problem with Gnome itself
> -ie I do right click I get the menu, I can right click on the panel at top
> however still same problem with Iceweasel. However !!! I still have
> the problem with the Iceweasel menus not coming down when clicked. Moreover
> and this is the most bizarre thing. On gnome I have trouble when I use
> vncviewer - ie the right clicks dont work, even though they
> worked on the X when I sit at the console.
>
> Any ideas???
>
> Very odd behavior and puzzling!!
>
> Mitchell

That sounds like a problem I had a while back (May), after some updates to
Lenny.

It turned out that a single click was being interpreted as a double click. For
example, click on the edit menu item twice, in quick succession, and the edit
drop down menu would be opened, and immediately closed, before you had
achance to see the dropdown menu. Clicking on the volume control in the
panel, I'd get a quick flash of the slider, which immediately disappeared
again, and is the same result that you'd get if clicking on the volume
control twice. There was more mysterious stuff, but leaving that aside,
someone suggested doing the following in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

A private e-mail sent to me from someone on either the Debian-User list, or
the KDE list, has enabled me to resolve the mouse problem.

All I had to do was edit a line in /etc/X11/xorg.conf relating to the mouse.

Section  "InputDevice"          "Generic Mouse"

                Option       "SendCoreEvents"      "true"

I changed the above line from "true" to "false", as suggested, and now the
mouse works as it always has done in the past.

Having made the changes, a logout, followed by logging back in to KDE did not
fix the problem. A reboot was necessary.

Don't know if that's any help, but it fixed my problem.

Nigel.