Re: how to start postgresql server at machine startup?

On 10/28/08 04:26, Star Liu wrote:
On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Jeff D <fixedored@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Star Liu wrote:

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
On 10/27/08 21:07, Star Liu wrote:
I installed postgresql server in my machine, but i does not start
automatically at startup time, so i need to mannually type these
commands to start it everytime when i restart system

Desktop:~# su postgres
Desktop:/root$ cd ~
Desktop:~$ postgres -D ~/data >~/log/logfile 2>&1 &

i tried to add this command line into /etc/X11/Xsession.d/95StarHabit:
Why the heck would you put it in an X script??????????
I do not know, I just put all the things I want to do at system
startup into this file

su -c "postgres -D /var/lib/postgresql/data >
/var/lib/postgresql/log/logfile 2>&1 &" postgres
but it doesn't work

how can i make these commands automatically executed at system startup?
 thanks
How did you install PostgreSQL?  If thru a Debian package, then Debian will
handle all this for you.
Yes, i installed it thru debian package, but it doesn't start up at
system startup, so i need to start it by myself, is there anyway to
automate it? thanks

Are you sure its not starting and just listening on the localhost
interface?  This is how it comes configured by default.  If you want it to
listen on a different interface you have to edit
/etc/postgresql/8.3/main/postgresql.conf to reflect that and restart it
through /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 restart .
my /etc/postgresql folder has nothing inside, did i miss some process
for postgresql server? thanks

Are you sure that you installed "it" properly?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Help a man when he is in trouble and he will remember you when
he is in trouble again.