Re: how to start postgresql server at machine startup?

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Star Liu wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> > On 10/27/08 21:07, Star Liu wrote:
> >>
> >> I installed postgresql server in my machine, but i does not start
> >> automatically at startup time, so i need to mannually type these
> >> commands to start it everytime when i restart system
> >>
> >> Desktop:~# su postgres
> >> Desktop:/root$ cd ~
> >> Desktop:~$ postgres -D ~/data >~/log/logfile 2>&1 &
> >>
> >> i tried to add this command line into /etc/X11/Xsession.d/95StarHabit:
> >
> > Why the heck would you put it in an X script??????????
> I do not know, I just put all the things I want to do at system
> startup into this file
>
> >> su -c "postgres -D /var/lib/postgresql/data >
> >> /var/lib/postgresql/log/logfile 2>&1 &" postgres
> >> but it doesn't work
> >>
> >> how can i make these commands automatically executed at system startup?
> >>  thanks
> >
> > How did you install PostgreSQL?  If thru a Debian package, then Debian will
> > handle all this for you.
> Yes, i installed it thru debian package, but it doesn't start up at
> system startup, so i need to start it by myself, is there anyway to
> automate it? thanks

Are you sure its not starting and just listening on the localhost
interface?  This is how it comes configured by default.  If you want it to
listen on a different interface you have to edit
/etc/postgresql/8.3/main/postgresql.conf to reflect that and restart it
through /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 restart .

jeff