Re: how to start postgresql server at machine startup?

On 10/28/08 00:15, Star Liu wrote:
On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
On 10/27/08 22:36, Star Liu wrote:
On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
wrote:
On 10/27/08 21:07, Star Liu wrote:
I installed postgresql server in my machine, but i does not start
automatically at startup time, so i need to mannually type these
commands to start it everytime when i restart system

Desktop:~# su postgres
Desktop:/root$ cd ~
Desktop:~$ postgres -D ~/data >~/log/logfile 2>&1 &

i tried to add this command line into /etc/X11/Xsession.d/95StarHabit:
Why the heck would you put it in an X script??????????
I do not know, I just put all the things I want to do at system
startup into this file
Stuff like that goes in /etc/init.d/ or /etc/rc.local.

su -c "postgres -D /var/lib/postgresql/data >
/var/lib/postgresql/log/logfile 2>&1 &" postgres
but it doesn't work

how can i make these commands automatically executed at system startup?
 thanks
How did you install PostgreSQL?  If thru a Debian package, then Debian
will
handle all this for you.
Yes, i installed it thru debian package, but it doesn't start up at
system startup, so i need to start it by myself, is there anyway to
automate it? thanks
There *must* be a relevant /etc/init.d/postgre* file.

yes, there is a /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3, its content is:
[ -r /usr/share/postgresql-common/init.d-functions ] || exit 0

. /usr/share/postgresql-common/init.d-functions

VERSION=8.3

case "$1" in
    start)
        start $VERSION
        ;;
    stop)
        stop "$VERSION"
        ;;
    restart)
	restart "$VERSION"
        ;;
    force-reload | reload)
        reload $VERSION
        ;;
    status)
        status $VERSION
	;;
    autovac-start)
	autovac_start $VERSION
	;;
    autovac-stop)
	autovac_stop $VERSION
	;;
    autovac-restart)
	autovac_restart $VERSION
	;;
    *)
        echo "Usage: $0
{start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload|status|autovac-start|autovac-stop|autovac-restart}"
        exit 1
        ;;
esac

exit 0
so should i add the following line into this file?
su -c "postgres -D /var/lib/postgresql/data >
/var/lib/postgresql/log/logfile 2>&1 &" postgres

No. I had PostgreSQL installed for a long time, and it *always* started up on boot.

Look in /usr/share/postgresql-common/init.d-functions to see if there's some env variable that controls whether the boot script immediately dies or not. It might reference a file in /etc/default.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Help a man when he is in trouble and he will remember you when
he is in trouble again.