Re: How To Hash passwords with SHA-1 in pam?

Richard,

Thanks for your reply, but actually I'd like to have passwords stored in a flat file (shadow) while using an ldap server as the central repository. This way ldap (or libnss-ldap) bugs, network issues, and server downtime wouldn't effect client authentication or mail delivery. Since SSHA-1 is the strongest hash openldap currently allows out of the box, I was hoping dumping to a flatfile or two would be as simple as configuring pam to allow it.

I'm considering using this module (http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAEXT/OpenLDAP+support+for+SHA-2+(SHA-256,+SHA-384,+SHA-512)+and+atlassian-sha1+passwords ) to store SHA2 password in openldap - and SHA2 is supported by pam_unix.

-Chris