Re: Cdrecord loses permission to write CD's...

Kenward Vaughan wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 23:58 +0100, Jochen Schulz wrote:
>> Kenward Vaughan:

>> > I don't get the DMA issue, to be honest.  I wonder if that was lost
>> > when
>> > I got this box a while back (I don't burn discs too often).  It wasn't
>> > a question with my older machine.
>>

> I did successfully burn a disc at 4x.
>

>> Do you have DMA enabled at all? Check with 'hdparm -d /dev/$foo',
>> replacing $foo with your cd/dvd device and your hard disk(s).
>>
>> J.
>
> I've tried that at times with no luck on the CDs:
>
> hpotter:/home/daddy# hdparm -d on /dev/hda
> on: No such file or directory
> hpotter:/home/daddy# hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
>  setting using_dma to 1 (on)
>  HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>  using_dma     =  0 (off)
>
> My HDs are SATAs, so hdparm doesn't work, written as above, at least.
>
> Do you know whether there is a setting or series of settings in my
> kernel that I don't realize need to be changed??  (I roll my own.)
>
> Thanks,
>

> Kenward

Hi, I had the same issue with activeting the GENERIC_IDE option in the
kernel. Look at ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL under Device Drivers
        generic/default IDE chipset support -> CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC
        Generic PCI IDE Chipset Support -> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_GENERIC

Disable them or set them to <M> this way no generic ide is setup and the
ata_* code takes effect which leads to u/DMA getting enabled

After this your drive (and/or cd/dvd) will be found as /dev/sdX
respectively /dev/srX

hope this helps for me it worked

regards