Re: virtual box version mismatch

Op Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:34:52 +0200 Nyizsnyik Ferenc wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 20:22:26 -0500 Dennis Wicks <wix@mgssub.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I have tried this on two different machines w/different kernels but
> > both lenny and after I do the "modprobe vboxdrv" as demanded by vbox
> > I get the message following and I have just installed latest vbox
> > stuff.
> >
> > 	The version of the VirtualBox kernel modules and the version
> > 	of VirtualBox application are not matching. You can correct
> > 	this by either installing the correct virtualbox-ose-modules
> > 	package (if available) through apt-get or by building it
> > 	manually with: module-assistant auto-install virtualbox-ose.
> > 	VBox status code: -1912 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH).
>
> Exactly what it says. 'The version of the VirtualBox kernel modules
> and the version of VirtualBox application are not matching.'
> You may have upgraded one (or was upgraded during an apt-get upgrade)
> and the other is still at the old version. Check their versions and
> upgrade the other that isn't.

At the moment, e.g. using Synaptic, you will find that virtualbox-ose is
at version 1.6.6 in Lenny, and virtualbox-ose-modules-2.6.26-1-686 is at
1.6.2. That is the mismatch, which occurs now and then.

What you can do in such a case, is to compile the module yourself, in
the same way as it is explained for Etch here:
http://wiki.debian.org/VirtualBox?highlight=%28virtualbox%29

In short:

# module-assistant auto-install virtualbox-ose
# modprobe vboxdrv
# lsmod | grep vbox
vboxdrv                55344  0

And do an 'aptitude hold virtualbox-ose-modules-2.6.26-1-686' to
prevent the wrong module from replacing the new one during the next
upgrade.