Re: cannot install all updates

On 10/23/08 01:53, JoeHill wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 10/23/08 01:25, JoeHill wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 10/22/08 23:34, JoeHill wrote:
JoeHill wrote:
Question is, is there some way to find out more info on what packages are
preventing HAL from being installed? Or _is_ that the question...? Not
sure.
...forgot to mention, I did run the 'smart upgrade', but I did not see
what the 'proposed removals' were, which is why I'm concerned.
This is why I never use synaptics, but stick with apt-get, the tool that God Intended Us To Use.

Besides, it will explicitly tell you what the problem packages are.
node1:/home/joehill# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done
  hal
  djvulibre-desktop libapr1 libaudio-dev libaudio2 libdjvulibre21
  libenchant1c2a libhal-dev libhal-storage1 libhal1 libmono-cairo1.0-cil
  libmono-corlib1.0-cil libmono-corlib2.0-cil libmono-data-tds1.0-cil
  libmono-data-tds2.0-cil libmono-i18n1.0-cil libmono-i18n2.0-cil
  libmono-security1.0-cil libmono-security2.0-cil libmono-sharpzip0.84-cil
  libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil libmono-sqlite2.0-cil libmono-system-data1.0-cil
  libmono-system-data2.0-cil libmono-system-web1.0-cil
  libmono-system-web2.0-cil libmono-system1.0-cil libmono-system2.0-cil
  libmono0 libmono1.0-cil libmono2.0-cil libpci3 libperl5.10 libpq5
  mono-common mono-gac mono-jit mono-runtime pciutils perl perl-base
perl-doc perl-modules screenlets tzdata
44 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

I'll accept that you're right about apt-get in general, but it's still not
telling me why hal is being held back.

I didn't see anything in the manpage to give me more verbose information.
I'm not saying it's not there, just that I didn't see it ;)
Just try to directly install hal. Then apt will tell you what new or modified packages also need to be installed

Okay, that did it. Now, the question is what to do about things that I think
might be important

  libgnomecupsui1.0-1c2a libcamel1.2-8 libgtkhtml3.8-15 cupsys-common
  libgail17 libc-client2002edebian libparted1.7-1 libneon25 libportaudio0
  libicu36 industrial-cursor-theme libxt-java type-handling libasn1-6-heimdal
  esound libkrb5-17-heimdal refblas3 libpostproc0d libedata-cal1.2-5
  xulrunner-gnome-support libgpod0 gcc-3.4-base libmdbtools libcdio6 libwnck18
  guile-1.6-libs libgutenprintui2-1 python-qt3 libpoppler0c2 gs-common gdb
  libegroupwise1.2-10 python-sip4 ttf-opensymbol libecal1.2-6 libxul0d
  libdirectfb-0.9-25 gnome-keyring-manager libio-zlib-perl liferea-xulrunner
  libqthreads-12 libflac7 libeel2-2.14 iputils-arping libebook1.2-5
  libedataserverui1.2-6 gtkhtml3.8 libiw28 libedataserver1.2-7 libmozjs0d
  discover1-data libxklavier10 libgda2-3 libavcodec0d libgucharmap4 libpq4
  libmyspell3c2 pmount libsnmp9 libtotem-plparser1 libservlet2.3-java
  libxul-common libgda2-common mkisofs libnautilus-burn3 libxp6
  libpoppler0c2-glib libroken16-heimdal libguile-ltdl-1 libgssapi4-heimdal
  libnss3-0d libavahi-core4 libpisync0

I'm pretty sure I need a lot of those things to build certain audio and video
applications I use. I definitely need mkisofs. Will these be uninstallable
afterwards? Or is it just these versions?

It means *only* what it says:
    The following packages were automatically installed
    and are no longer required:

Don't read or infer anything else! They are perfectly, and happily installed, and apt-get will *not* uninstall them.

If you want to "tell" apt-get to stop nagging/informing you about their "automatic" status, then (counter-intuitively), just "apt-get install" them. This won't actually *do* anything except tell apt that you really do want these packages.

(Copy-and-paste makes it dirt simple.)

Of course, you could always pick and choose, "installing" the ones you know you want, and purging the ones you don't (since you can always reinstall them later).

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Help a man when he is in trouble and he will remember you when
he is in trouble again.