Re: cannot install all updates

On 10/23/08 01:25, JoeHill wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 10/22/08 23:34, JoeHill wrote:
JoeHill wrote:
Question is, is there some way to find out more info on what packages are
preventing HAL from being installed? Or _is_ that the question...? Not
sure.
...forgot to mention, I did run the 'smart upgrade', but I did not see what
the 'proposed removals' were, which is why I'm concerned.
This is why I never use synaptics, but stick with apt-get, the tool that God Intended Us To Use.

Besides, it will explicitly tell you what the problem packages are.

node1:/home/joehill# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done
  hal
  djvulibre-desktop libapr1 libaudio-dev libaudio2 libdjvulibre21
  libenchant1c2a libhal-dev libhal-storage1 libhal1 libmono-cairo1.0-cil
  libmono-corlib1.0-cil libmono-corlib2.0-cil libmono-data-tds1.0-cil
  libmono-data-tds2.0-cil libmono-i18n1.0-cil libmono-i18n2.0-cil
  libmono-security1.0-cil libmono-security2.0-cil libmono-sharpzip0.84-cil
  libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil libmono-sqlite2.0-cil libmono-system-data1.0-cil
  libmono-system-data2.0-cil libmono-system-web1.0-cil
  libmono-system-web2.0-cil libmono-system1.0-cil libmono-system2.0-cil
  libmono0 libmono1.0-cil libmono2.0-cil libpci3 libperl5.10 libpq5
  mono-common mono-gac mono-jit mono-runtime pciutils perl perl-base perl-doc
  perl-modules screenlets tzdata
44 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

I'll accept that you're right about apt-get in general, but it's still not
telling me why hal is being held back.

I didn't see anything in the manpage to give me more verbose information. I'm
not saying it's not there, just that I didn't see it ;)

Just try to directly install hal. Then apt will tell you what new or modified packages also need to be installed

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Help a man when he is in trouble and he will remember you when
he is in trouble again.