Re: Sleek and slim Gnome? ==> generic solution for selective (de)install from task

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:09:35PM -0200, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> Steven Maddox (Cyorxamp) wrote:
> >> Forget about "installing Gnome" and just install the specific Gnome
> >> packages you want.

I assume OP installed Gnome from task list.

> > OK well since I already have Gnome installed (Lenny CD1)... I have...
> >
> > apt-get remove gnome gnome-desktop-environment

This requires knowing these package names which is not always easy.

> > Only problem now is every time I do something with apt-get it warns me
> > about these...
> If you want them, mark them as not automatically installed:
> aptitude unmarkauto <package>

This works but it is quite tedious to do this from command line.

The answer is use *aptitude*.

open aptitude in full screen mode
 $ sudo aptitude -u
Then go to "Tasks" an find "GNOME desktop environment".
Select on this title line with "+" to select this task (if not yet done via tasksel menu)
Also press "m" on this tile tine to do "unmarkauto".
Then deselect program you do not wish.

Now you can do the similar for all other tasks.

There is more info on:
 http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html

Osamu