Sleek and slim Gnome?

Hi folks,

I've been using Lenny since June and recently reinstalled (just like to start fresh) in anticipation of the Lenny release.

I'm starting to be really annoyed with Gnome... it now comes with Epiphany, Evolution, SEVENTEEN games, and god knows what else... you try and remove these extras and it wants to remove all of Gnome - surely the core of Gnome can't possibly really require these extra applications to function.

Does anyone have any tips (even if it means I do an install of Debian without X and build up from there) on how to get a sleek and slim copy of Gnome running? i.e. Panel and Alacarte only? I'm not even overly concerned with Nautilus as I prefer Thunar. I know I could use Xfce but until maybe version 4.8 (they're still finishing 4.6) they don't have a proper alternative to Alacarte.

--
Sincerely...

Steven Maddox
(Cyorxamp)