Re: Sleek and slim Gnome?

Steven Maddox (Cyorxamp) escreveu:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've been using Lenny since June and recently reinstalled (just like to
> start fresh) in anticipation of the Lenny release.
>
> I'm starting to be really annoyed with Gnome... it now comes with
> Epiphany, Evolution, SEVENTEEN games, and god knows what else... you try
> and remove these extras and it wants to remove all of Gnome - surely the
> core of Gnome can't possibly really require these extra applications to
> function.
>
> Does anyone have any tips (even if it means I do an install of Debian
> without X and build up from there) on how to get a sleek and slim copy
> of Gnome running?  i.e. Panel and Alacarte only?  I'm not even overly
> concerned with Nautilus as I prefer Thunar.  I know I could use Xfce but
> until maybe version 4.8 (they're still finishing 4.6) they don't have a
> proper alternative to Alacarte

While I don't know the exact packages (I don't run gnome), you are
probably installing the super-uber-I-depend-on-everything metapackage
that installs everything related to gnome. This packaged depends, for
example, gnome-games or whatever it is called, and so the games get
installed. When you try to purge gnome-games, the gnome metapackage must
be removed (since it depends on gnome-games). This causes the other
gnome packages (which were automatically installed because of the
metapackage) to be considered unused and be removed.

Look for some package like gnome-minimal, gnome-core, etc., that
installs only the minimal requirements, then install other parts as
necessary.

--
Eduardo M Kalinowski
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br