Re: Desktop search engines

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 21:38:23 -0700
John Magolske <listmail@b79.net> wrote:

> * Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> [081020 12:49]:
> > On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:23:25 -0700
> > Amit Uttamchandani <amit.uttam@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I was looking for a simple desktop search engine, something that tracks
> > > metadata, etc. And since I'm not using KDE or GNOME, I would like
> > > something that does not depend on either.
> > > I am trying them out now but any experiences or suggestions?
> > >
> > > Also this machine is not too powerful (500MHz G4), so I guess something
> > > lightweight would be great.
> >
> > I use recoll; it's not very slick, but it works.  I don't have
> > experience with any of the others.
>
> My understanding is that recoll is gui only...is that true? I've been
> looking for a lightweight desktop search engine that can be used at
> the command line. I've used glimpse, which seemed ok, but it's not a
> FOSS solution:  http://webglimpse.net/sublicensing/licensing.html
>
> Some cli-compatible search tools I've heard about:
>
> swish++
> http://swishplusplus.sourceforge.net/
>
> tracker (...but I guess this is a GNOME thing)
> http://www.gnome.org/projects/tracker/
>
> Namazu
> http://www.namazu.org/
>
> Strigi
> http://strigi.sourceforge.net/
>
> Has anyone had experience with any of these?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> --

I actually just installed strigi, I tried recoll but couldn't get it to
work properly. Strigi is actually quite fast. I am not sure about the
command line but the strigiclient is a simple gui and seems to work as
expected. Also it has minimal dependencies. I haven't tried the others.

Also note that today was my first day using strigi. I will be
experimenting with the other alternatives and see how they go.

Amit