Desktop search engines

I was looking for a simple desktop search engine, something that tracks
metadata, etc. And since I'm not using KDE or GNOME, I would like
something that does not depend on either.

After some analysis I came down to the following choices:

 1. Strigi
  - small, lightweight, development still active, seems to be platform
independent.

 2. beagle
  - huge dependencies but widely used

 3. tracker
  - no too many dependencies, seems like it is still developed but no
new releases since a couple of months

 4. doodle
  - smallest out of all
  - not updated since 2007?

Right now, I'm leaning towards Strigi, doodle, tracker (in that
order)...

I am trying them out now but any experiences or suggestions?

Also this machine is not too powerful (500MHz G4), so I guess something
lightweight would be great.

Thanks,
Amit