Re: Desktop search engines

* Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> [081020 12:49]:
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:23:25 -0700
> Amit Uttamchandani <amit.uttam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I was looking for a simple desktop search engine, something that tracks
> > metadata, etc. And since I'm not using KDE or GNOME, I would like
> > something that does not depend on either.
> > I am trying them out now but any experiences or suggestions?
> >
> > Also this machine is not too powerful (500MHz G4), so I guess something
> > lightweight would be great.
>
> I use recoll; it's not very slick, but it works.  I don't have
> experience with any of the others.

My understanding is that recoll is gui only...is that true? I've been
looking for a lightweight desktop search engine that can be used at
the command line. I've used glimpse, which seemed ok, but it's not a
FOSS solution:  http://webglimpse.net/sublicensing/licensing.html

Some cli-compatible search tools I've heard about:

swish++
http://swishplusplus.sourceforge.net/

tracker (...but I guess this is a GNOME thing)
http://www.gnome.org/projects/tracker/

Namazu
http://www.namazu.org/

Strigi
http://strigi.sourceforge.net/

Has anyone had experience with any of these?

Thanks,

John

--
John Magolske