Re: whole disk encryption -- not prompting for passphrase

Yes, I have run 'update-initramfs -v -u -k 2.6.24-1-686'

This had no effect.

I cannot find any documentation as to how the system is supposed to find and
unencrypt encrypted drives.  When in the boot process is the system supposed
to load these drives? What commands does it use? In what files do those commands reside? Where is the documentation for this stuff? All I can find are HOWTOs,
which contain absolutely no theory, and so are absolutely useless for
troubleshooting.

Can *anybody* help me with this?

Is reinstalling to a pre-existing encrypted partition just a bad idea?
-Hatta

Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
Hatta wrote:

A short while ago I set up a system with whole disk encryption.  I used
the guided LUKS
partitioning sytem to make 3 encrypted lvm volumes, root, home, and
swap_1.

Anyway, I broke that installation, so I needed to reinstall.  I used a
netboot image in expert
mode, manually opened the encrypted volume, and installed a new system
to root. It seemed
to go fine, but on rebooting it does not prompt me for my passphrase,
and it cannot find the
root filesystem to mount, I eventually end up in busybox.

I can mount my encrypted volumes just fine from a live CD, so they're
ok.  So there's something wrong
with the boot process, debian's just not finding it.   Here's the error
message I get:

Begin: Mounting root file system ... Begin: Running /scripts/local-top
... [5.769352] device-mapper: uevent: version 1.0.3
[   5.771151] device mapper: ioctl: 4.13.0-ioctl (2007-10-18)
initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
    Volume group "debian" not found
    Volume group "debian" not found
done.
Begin: Waiting for root file system ... done.

And then I just wait for BusyBox.  Anyone have any idea what's going on
here?

did you regenerate the initrd.img after installing?

you update-initramfs of equivalent to update the initrd.img for your kernel

regards