whole disk encryption -- not prompting for passphrase

A short while ago I set up a system with whole disk encryption. I used the guided LUKS
partitioning sytem to make 3 encrypted lvm volumes, root, home, and swap_1.

Anyway, I broke that installation, so I needed to reinstall. I used a netboot image in expert mode, manually opened the encrypted volume, and installed a new system to root. It seemed to go fine, but on rebooting it does not prompt me for my passphrase, and it cannot find the
root filesystem to mount, I eventually end up in busybox.

I can mount my encrypted volumes just fine from a live CD, so they're ok. So there's something wrong with the boot process, debian's just not finding it. Here's the error message I get:

Begin: Mounting root file system ... Begin: Running /scripts/local-top ... [5.769352] device-mapper: uevent: version 1.0.3 [ 5.771151] device mapper: ioctl: 4.13.0-ioctl (2007-10-18) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
   Volume group "debian" not found
   Volume group "debian" not found
done.
Begin: Waiting for root file system ... done.

And then I just wait for BusyBox. Anyone have any idea what's going on here?