Re: ACPI power management broken since 2.6.23-1

Anton Piatek wrote:
2008/10/19 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org>:
On Sun, 19 Oct 2008, Anton Piatek wrote:
Kernel 2.6.23-1 is the last kernel I seem to be able to run and have
my laptop go to sleep.

I am trying to figure out what i need to do to make the newer kernels
sleep, but am a bit stuck.

Can anyone give me some pointers to try and figure out what I might be
missing to make it work? I admit I don't entirely understand how ACPI
works...
It helps wonders if you tell us what laptop you have (and a major hint:
upgrade your laptop BIOS and firmware if an update is available from the
vendor).

Also, what is wrong with the sleep?  Is it the sleep?  Is it the resume?
What happens that is wrong?  If the screen is black, is the machine still
alright but just with the backlight turned off?  What is in the kernel log
when the sleep/resume breaks?  etc.

Youre right - the laptop details will help:
IBM T43p

I will look into bios updates too though they are going to be tricky
as it seems i need a non-usb floppy or windows xp (neither of which I
have)

The laptop doesn't go to sleep - I use the kde powermanagement tool to
set the sleep when the lid is closed, but in the newer kernels it just
doesnt work - all the sleep options are greyed out and I can't figure
out why.
I have looked through various logs but have been unable to find pretty
much anything acpi/sleep related at all.

Maybe the problem is not the kernel... i suppose it could be that kde
doesnt like something in the newer kernels.

Anton

There have been many updates to the various ACPI tools and support programs and daemons. Most of them are in sid. You may need to update these things as well as the kernel. ACPI is still evolving in Linux. Expect it to be broken from time to time.

Mark Allums